The Hotel was originally called the Villa Syracusa, a private home built for the Russian Romanoff family. While the Romanoff family were in residence, they entertained the family at the Villa. During their absences, the villa was often let privately.
– Entry from the Torquay Directory on November 30th 1859 –
“To be LET, handsomely furnished, from 1st of December, consisting of 5 reception rooms, three of them 70 feet in length, ladies boudoir, 8 best bed-rooms with bathrooms, 9 servants bed-rooms, convenient offices, with 5-stall stable, loose box, double coach house, and 2 bedrooms over, for coachman, etc.”